The paradise exists, and you can see it here! In the Canary Island. 

Apply for residency is not complicated. In fact, it is rather a mechanic and straightforward process.

You just need to understand which are all the available options, the requirements for each of them, and then understand which of those is the best option for you and your family.

There are a number of residency visas available and which one you apply for will depend on your situation and whether you want to work, retire or study here.

Firstly, it is important to understand that not everyone actually needs to apply for a Spanish residency visa.

Do I need a visa?

As a rule, you will fall into one of two groups.

•        EU Citizens - If you are a citizen of the European Union, you will not need to apply for a visa and will be able to travel freely within the Schengen area. You will only need to apply for your certificate of registration as an EU national, NIE tax number and a TIE residency card.

•        Non-EU Citizens - Those who are not residents of the EU, EEA or Switzerland must apply for a visa to reside, work or study here. This group would also cover those from the United Kingdom which is no longer a member of the EU as of January 1, 2021.

What kind of visas are available?

There are types of residency visas in Spain and which one you apply for will depend on how long you plan on staying and what you will be doing here.

•        Temporary Visa - If you want to live in Spain long term or at least for longer than 90 days consecutively, you will need to apply for one of the temporary residence visas. This visa generally provides residency for one or two years and can be renewed at the end of each period. Once you have renewed for 5 years or more, you may then apply for permanent Spanish residency.

•        Long Term Visa - Once you have been legally resident in Spain for 5 years or more, you can then apply for permanent residency allowing you to live and work here indefinitely.

Below we provide you with an overview for one of the three main visas you may apply for, to stay in Spain on a temporary basis with the view to becoming a permanent resident.


Non-lucrative visa

One of the most accessible Spanish residence permits, the non-lucrative visa is: 

A visa that allows you and your family to live in Spain but not to work for Spanish companies.

However, you can work remotely to foreign companies. Europeans do not need one, only if you come from outside of the EU. You can invest in Spain, like buying a property or own shares of a Spanish company. It also works as a tourist visa for the rest of Europe.

First for one year, then renewable every 2 years. If you live in Spain 5 consecutive years, you can convert it into a permanent residency permit, and can start working in Spain as well, if you like.

The application for this residence authorization must be done at your country of origin or there where you have your legal residency. Entering in Spain as a tourist won’t allow you to manage the procedure. You must start from outside the country.

First of all, you will have to send all relevant documents to the Spanish Consulate (you will find which documents in the following section).

The government delegation in charge of analysing all the files will have 1 month to submit their results. In the case of not obtaining one within this period, the request will be rejected due to “administrative silence”.

Once you get a favourable answer, the visa will be stamped in your passport, and you will be able to move on to the next step: travel to Spain.

Which documents should I submit?

1. Visa application form: The application form EX-01. Only available in Spanish.

2. Passport with a minimum validity of 12 months.

3. Proof of financial means (proof of a source of regular income without having to engage in any business or professional activity in Spain, for you and your family, where applicable, for the requested period of residence and in the following amounts:

A. A monthly amount of 2.316,08 euros or its equivalent in a foreign currency to support yourself during the requested period of residence in Spain.

B. A monthly amount of 579,02 euros or its equivalent in a foreign currency for the support of your dependents during their requested period of residence in Spain. This amount is additional to the one mention in the previous point 1.

4. Police Criminal Record clearance of every applicant over the age of 18(cannot be older than 3 months from the date of application):

*Please note that:

foreign documents must be translated into Spanish in their countries of origin and legalized by the appropriate Consular Office of Spain or apostilled.

5. Medical Certificate: a statement signed by a doctor indicating that ‘the patient has been examined and found free of any contagious diseases according to the International Health Regulation 2005’.  This certificate cannot be older than three (3) months from the date of application.

6. Proof of having international medical insurance with an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain. Healthcare insurance policy with FULL cover. (Same coverage as those provided by the Spanish national health system).


Please get in touch to find out more about how we can help you.

Cookie Policy

We use our own cookies (technical cookies that are necessary for our website to function, they do not need authorisation and they are the only ones that we have activated by default) and third party cookies (to improve our page, customise it based on your preferences or be able to show you advertising tailored to your searches and personal interests) that provide services for our website.

You can accept all these cookies by pressing the "Accept" button or configure them by clicking the "Cookie settings" button. Please see our Cookies Policy for more information.

Modify cookies

About your privacy

To read all the necessary questions and to have control over them based on your personal choices go to the Cookie Policy page.

Manage consent preferences

These cookies are absolutely necessary for our website to function and for you to be able to browse it. For example, they are those that allow us to identify you, give you access to certain restricted parts of the page if necessary, or remember different options or services already selected by you, such as your privacy preferences, which is why they are activated by default. Through the configuration of your browser, you can block or set an alert for the presence of this type of cookie, although blocking them will prevent the different functionalities of our website from working properly.
These cookies allow us to study user navigation on our website and to evaluate performance so we can improve by adding new functionalities.
These allow us to save the user's preferences so that we can improve the quality of our services and offer a better experience through recommended products. Activating them will improve the functionality of the website (for example, adapting to your type of browser) and customising it based on your preferences (for example, displaying information in the language you have chosen on previous occasions).